En

Kabile Evangelical Lutheran Church

The first church in Kabile was founded in 1567. It was located within the manor estate, which initially belonged to the Order and later to the first Duke of Courland, Gothard Kettler. From 1623, the Kabile congregation had permanent pastors. In 1652, a new stone church was built 3 km from the old, deteriorating wooden church. In 1656, the new church and parsonage were consecrated. In 1903, the church was struck by lightning and burned down.

The church was restored on the existing walls according to a design by architect Vilhelms Neimanis and consecrated on April 29, 1907. The restored church is one of the most interesting monuments of 20th-century sacred architecture in Latvia.

The church has 400 seats, and in 1907 the congregation numbered 2,450 people. The parish chronicle has been kept since 1739.

The church furnishings—the altar, pulpit, and organ case—were made at the beginning of the 20th century. The organ was built in 1906 by master craftsman Emīls Martins.

The altarpiece “Christ” was painted in 1938 by artist Jānis Roberts Tillbergs, who lived in the Kabile parish estate “Krasti.”

In 2017, following the initiative of Kabile congregation evangelist Aivars Kaņeps, new sacramental vessels, candleholders, and a baptismal font were purchased through donations.

Contacts

Jaunā muiža, Kabiles pagasts

Related places

a