Smilšu 14, Kuldīga
This small church, with the smallest parish in the city, holds its place in Kuldīga’s cultural history. The church was built in 1871 under the guidance of Saint Petersburg architect Bulavin, with material support from Ivan Smirnov, a former Kuldīga resident and merchant. The church welcomed to its liturgy both the few Russian inhabitants of the city and the students of the Baltic Teachers’ Seminary.
Although the building does not impress with outstanding artistic value, it draws attention through the dome frescoes, as well as the images of the Virgin Mary, Archangel Gabriel, and the Evangelists on the intricately carved Tsar’s gates.
Smilšu 14, Kuldīga