En

The Bell Tower of St. Peter’s Chapel in Kuldīga

In the far northwest corner of the city, on Pētera Street 1, an 18th-century area, a freestanding bell tower built in 1782 has been preserved. The bell tower marks the former location of Kuldīga’s oldest cemetery. Originally, the tower stood in St. Peter’s Cemetery, which was abolished in the second half of the 19th century.

The bell tower has been preserved and still demonstrates its original volume, shape, and design. The tower’s façades are covered with red-painted wooden panels, while the roof is made of boards. Its spire is topped with a weather vane. On the northeast façade, there is a wooden door with a window directly above it, closed with a wooden shutter. Similar windows are present on all four façades. At the top, the windows are rounded and set with sheet metal details characteristic of the Duchy period. The wooden cladding of the tower has been regularly restored and reflects historically appropriate restorations carried out at various times. The stone basement of the tower has been fully preserved from the 18th century, and the doors and windows remain in their original positions.

The tower was last restored in 2009.

Contacts

Pētera iela 1, Kuldīga

Opening hours

Open 24/7

Prices

Free of charge

Related places

a